Financial Help‎ > ‎


Many people with Multiple Sclerosis are eligible for financial help as a result of their illness or disability. The most common welfare benefits to which people with MS are eligible are: 

Employment and Support Allowance (formerly Incapacity Benefit) and 


Disability Living Allowance/Attendance Allowance (now replaced by  Personal Independence          Payment for new claimants). 

Information about these benefits is available on the Government DirectGov website. Click HERE 

Some people in Moray have found the form-filling that is required to claim these benefits a real headache. 

The Moray Branch of the MS Society has struck an agreement with the Moray Citizens Advice Bureau to provide tailored advice and information to anyone affected by Multiple Sclerosis in Moray. This includes home visits if required. All that is needed is a phone call to a dedicated number that will be answered by someone who knows about the Benefits system and about MS.

Call 01343 559004 to access this service.

This offers the easiest way to navigate through the maze of the system. But if you want to find things out for yourself there is a lot you can do.

The Moray Council have developed a Welfare Map which is a good place to start. Click HERE to access it

Talking to others who have been through the process also helps. The Moray MS Support Group is a good place to start. There is also advice on the MS Society website. 

If you are claiming Employment and Support Allowance click HERE to get some useful tips. Also if you want to know the Government's own thinking about this benefit click HERE This link details the "boxes" that need to be "ticked" to be eligible for the benefit. 

If you want to know more about Disability Living Allowance/Attendance Allowance/Personal Independence Payment click HERE for information from the MS Society

If you care for someone in receipt of Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance you may be entitled to Carers Allowance (formerly known as Invalid Care Allowance). This benefit is an acknowledgement that Carers are often not able to work or to accrue National Insurance credits. Click HERE for more information.

The new information and advice service for MSers in Moray is provided by the Citizens Advice Bureau. The main CAB Office in Moray is in Elgin at 

6 Moss Street 

Elgin  IV30 1LU

Telephone 01343 559004.

CAB outreach sessions are also held in Buckie, Lhanbryde and Keith. 

The Moray CAB has a website. Click HERE to look at it.

There are also Welfare Rights Officers employed by the Moray Council. They  have recently relocated and can be contacted at:

The Moray Council

Financial Inclusion Service

PO Box 6760

High Street


IV30 9BX


Telephone – 0300 1234561

Click HERE  for more information.